Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Those Mexican Pickled Carrots..etc


So my mother and I went to my favorite fresh mex place today in Costa Mesa, Taco Mesa. I always have a delightfully tasty meal there and the salsa bar is amazing! My two favorite treats on the bar are the pickled carrots etc, and the avocado cream stuff. Very descriptive I know. Well, I asked for the recipes and wouldn't you know, the guy I asked said he had no idea how to make them and no one working at the time did either. Boo! So I decided to take matters into my own hands and try so in home recipes.
The pickled veggie recipe I tried was super oily but I cut that down for you all and please folks remember not to eat the bay leaves....they are just there for flavor. I also recommend taste testing the jalapeno amount to your taste buds as mine can take the heat, so I like to throw down.
So the avocado cream sauce stuff was hard to match, and the closest I came was plain but tasty. The most important part of this sauce or cream is the avocados, So don't be shy when you search for the right ones. Pick a ripe, blemish free, avocado. For those of you who don't know, this means do not pick up a hard one.


Pickled Veggies

2 oz olive oil (inexpensive don't waste the good stuff here)
3 oz corn oil
5 oz white wine vinegar
2 tsp. non-iodized salt
2 bay leaves
1 tsp. oregano leaves
1 tsp. marjoram
6 cloves garlic, sliced in halves
About 1 generous overflowing quart, total, mix of sliced jalapenos, carrots, cauliflower, onion, jicama. (Heat will depend on amount of jalapenos--half dozen or 8 is good.)

Directions
Throw everything into a non-reactive (i.e., non-aluminum) pot, bring to definite simmer for just three or four minutes, max; veggies, esp. jalapenos, will lose raw color. Pour into storage containers and refrigerate. Keeps a few weeks. Best served at room temperature, but store refrigerated.

Avocado Cream
Yield
1 1/3 cups

Ingredients
1 peeled medium avocado, pitted and cut into chunks
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
Preparation
Place first 3 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Spoon pureed mixture into a small bowl; stir in cilantro. Cover and chill.


Yummy Everyone enjoy these delicious salsa bar additions and throw yourself a Mexican shindig. Don't forget to bring the tequila and send me an invite while you're at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment